Monday, December 10, 2007

Top Five Singles Of 2007

It's that time of the year in which people start making their "End Of The Year Lists". Over the next few weeks, I'm going to post some of my own end of the year lists. First up are the top five singles of the year. These are hits or should've been hits; but who gives a shit? They were hits to me. Songs that existed outside of their album and could work solidly on their own. These are in no order of importance:




1. "Young Folks", Peter Bjorn and John.

This is the best whistling riff of the past ten years, or at least since GNR's "Patience". Hell, this is the best riff PERIOD of this whole year. I'm still waiting for the rest of the record to grow on me the way this has, but this is one of the best songs of the year.




2. "I'm A Flirt (remix)", R. Kelly, featuring T.I. & T-Pain.

What can I say? Kells keeps it up; literally and figuratively. He takes someone (Lil' Bow Wow) else's song, adds T.I. (who raps unintelligibly) and T-Pain (who is starting to reference himself and his own songs in others' songs to a Destroyer-drinking-game-like degree) and comes out with another classic. Who can deny the magic this has spread? The awesome piano riff? The amazing lyrics? Aqueduct performing it at Lollapalooza? That awesome mash-up of Broken Social Scene and R.Kelly?




3. "The Underdog", Spoon.

Incredibly catchy. Should be a Target commercial. And I mean that in the best possible way. Jon Brion production makes you wish that he produced the whole record.




4. "Need Your Needs", Georgie James.

This is a should-be-smash-hit that catapults Georgie up the College charts. Tight, rhythmic yet melodic verses give way to catchiest chorus of the year (besides by number five(s)).





5. (tie) "Irreplaceable", Beyonce; "Umbrella", Rihanna.

Tied at fifth, because I can't follow the rules. I will add the songwriting credits later. This songs exist on great beats, classic songwriting, and perfect pop songcraft when the songs hit the chorus. You can sing these choruses immediately and these songs are coverable to the nth degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment