Monday, December 10, 2007

Revenge: Director's Cut (d: T. Scott, 1990/2007)



All Movie Guide:
Plot Synopsis by All Movie Guide
Kevin Costner plays an ex-pilot who visits the posh Mexican estate of an old associate (Anthony Quinn) "Tibey" Mendes, for a bit of R & R. Tibey has turned into a very powerful Godfather type who rules his world and those who touch it. Costner can't help but notice his old friend's incredibly beautiful young wife (Madeleine Stowe) and before long they're involved in some sizzling hoochie-coo at the risk of being discovered by Mendes. Mendes eventually catches on and exacts a painful and cruel punishment on the reclusive lovers caught in their lustful liaison. Costner vows a pay-back and the last part of the movie involves his attempt to achieve it.


Revenge is what you would call a "sexually-charged" thriller, which seems to be a prime 80's genre ripe for reinvestigation. While that reinvestigation will not be happening within this review, I' ve had a nice introduction to the genre with "Revenge". To be fair, "Revenge" seems more likely a genre combination of the sexually-charged thriller and the revenge movie (hence, the title), though it it a little light on the "thriller" aspect.

What I watched recently was Tony Scott's new Director's Cut which is twenty minutes shorter than the theatrical (and previous home video release) cut. Apparently, the film was taken away from Scott by Rastar Films and turned into the version we have seen in the past (I speak as if you've seen it). I first saw this movie after reading a quote from Quentin Tarantino listing this as one of his favorite films of the early 1990's. Tarantino, being an aficionado of the revenge genre, was giving props to an otherwise neglected film. Tarantino is even quoted on this new director's edition as "Tony Scott's Masterpiece!" Now, I wouldn't go that far. And if anyone can tell me what it is that Tarantino sees in Scott's film, please lead me in that direction because I cannot find it (at least on the web).

Scott has made better films, True Romance, Enemy Of The State are two of them, but I can't think of another one since The Hunger that had such a sexual element to it.

Kevin Costner plays a retiring pilot who visits his friend (played by Anthony Quinn) down in Mexico. How these two became friends, or why they remain that way is not exactly clear in the story. Quinn appears to be leading some kind of mafioso-type life in Mexico but Costner is not involved in that area. Quinn's wife (Madeline Stowe) gives Costner bedroom eyes constantly. Soon enough, Costner is betraying his friend and having sex with Stowe during a large outdoor party/fiesta Quinn throws.

Are we supposed to accept this as okay because Stowe with betrothed to Quinn? Why does Costner fuck his friend's wife and a) expect no consequences, and b) have no remorse about it? Was I falling asleep during some of this film?

This all sets up the revenge portion. The affair is found out and Costner is beat within an inch of his life. Stowe is shipped off to a whorehouse. Costner (with the kindness of the strangers) nurses himself back to health and carries out his revenge plot, and tries to find Stowe again.

I like Tony Scott. I'll watch any movie he makes/made. I'll get into my reasoning why at another time, but I'm not sure why this is considered one of his better films. The new cut works for me. It is lean, the story moves fast, and the DVD print looks amazing. Green is used everywhere in this film, and I'm not sure what this is supposed to symbolize beyond jealousy. But, it looks beautiful. But, the motivation behind the affair baffles me. Why Costner is so quick to turn on his friend, and how fast it happens, is a fault the film cannot recover from. I end up not feeling all that bad for the leads, and I'm not sure that was supposed to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment